On 26th April, social care staff who had recently completed 25 years’ service gathered for tea, cakes and a presentation at the civic hall in recognition of this achievement.
To help set the scene, music from 25 years ago was played to welcome everybody and a historic fact sheet took people back to 1990/91. That was the year Nelson Mandela was freed; the World Wide Web was born and we had the first British person in space – Helen Sharman. Cath Roff, Director of Adult Social Services, was quick to point out as an ardent Spurs supporter, who won the FA cup 25 years ago too.
Cath and Councillor Mulherin, (then Executive Board member for Adults – now Children and Families) took people down memory lane and highlighted some of the more recent achievements from the last 25 years;-
- The bringing together of technology and information to make all our lives easier and help us do a better job; the latest example being the new Client Information System.
- Leeds Care Record – electronic records providing health and social care professionals with quicker access to the most up-to-date information – Leeds is leading the way in this field.
- Bringing together all our assisted living services under one roof at Clarence Road. How things have changed with Tele care and remote assistance.
- The staff spin out to form Aspire Community Benefit Society – supporting people with learning disabilities to be as independent as possible and reducing the need for residential care.
- New Home Care arrangements– gradual move from time allocation to work that now requires providers to support people to achieve their personal outcomes
Cllr Mulherin explained that even though money is tight, it was particularly nice, and fitting, to be able to make time to celebrate the good things, say thank you for a job well done and explain plans to help staff who may be working for the next 25 years!
Before a presentation of a clock and owl pin badge, everyone was treated to some music performed by The Outsiders, singers and performers who all have learning disabilities. They covered pop and rock songs and a few songs of their own. So far they have successfully raised enough money to buy a tour bus. This year they are raising money to buy themselves a trailer to take all their equipment on their 2016 tour! If you would like to help them futher, you can donate to their cause here.
A good time was had by all.